Saturday, December 1, 2007

This hardly seems fair....

My fifth grader did a book report a few weeks ago. At the time she was working on it, she was very anxious about the requirement that she include illustrations. Like me, she is no artist, and she is very poor at taking abstract ideas and reducing them to pictures.

While my daughter was working on the report, I spoke to the teachers about her concern, and they assured me -- in front of my daughter -- that they would not hold it against her. I should also add that there is no art training going on in the school, so she's not being taught any technical skills that would help her rise above her natural deficiencies.

Imagine both my daughter's and my chagrin, therefore, when her book report was returned, and the teachers marked marked her down for not drawing pictures that met their high standards. I'd been prepared to like these teachers, but they just went down significantly in my estimation.

My problem now is how to approach them without their getting the bright idea to start a vendetta against me, using my daughter as their pawn -- something I have been assured by other parents that teachers in our school district do with startling regularity.

1 comment:

PatriciaJ said...

My kids like artwork due to year's in pre-school. I just give them all the tools, tell 'em its great and send it in to the teacher. I tell my kids art is in the eye of the beholder and the artist. To reinforce this, I showed them some award winning modern "art."